Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Blue cabochon set in sterling silver pendant.

Oh my god, the picture does no justice to the awesomeness of this piece! I have been taking a jewelry class for the last 6 weeks and after learning soldering, cutting, polishing, and a ton of other techniques, I finally made something that blows my mind.
This piece used to be a rock and some sheet silver and a thin flat silver wire. I wrapped the wire around the stone to make a collar and then soldered it together and to the silver plate... then I cut out the plate to match the collar and added a bail that I cut from a small strip of the silver sheet. I filed and polished it for several hours and then set the stone by working the edge of the wire just over the curve of the stone. I don't think I have ever made anything so beautiful.




Side on:

No comments: