Tuesday, January 30, 2007

A varigated hat with orange star cotton liner.


I knited this hat using double knitting to simultaneously craft the scratchy kureyon outer shell and soft cotton-elastic liner. Boo my naughty cat is shown in the background.

I double knitted this hat by casting on twice the number of liner yarn stiches as head measurement and a gauge calculation would suggest. Then I knitted every alternating stich in scratchy kureyon and I purled every other stich in liner yarn. If you do this right, without letting the yarns twist, you create two completely separate cloths that are joined at the rim. I twisted a couple of stiches so my shell and liner are bound togethera few times in addition to the rim. Executing the decreases without binding the two cloths is tricky!

No comments: